- 1 loaf whole-wheat sourdough bread
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb portobello mushrooms, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 large leek, trimmed, halved lengthwise and chopped
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth (We use fresh home-made)
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 T fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp Chile powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Slice bread (if not already sliced) and discard crusts. Cut bread into 3/4-inch cubes. Spread bread cubes out in a single layer on 2 rimmed baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted, tossing halfway through. Transfer to a very large bowl.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until tender and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add mushrooms to bowl with bread. Wipe out skillet with paper towel and heat remaining oil on medium-high. Add carrots, celery and leek. Cook until vegetables are tender and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add to bread bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients to bread bowl and stir gently to combine. Bread should be moist, not dry or soggy.
Coat a large (about 9 x 13-inch) baking dish with olive oil cooking spray and add stuffing. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Then remove foil and bake for 10 to 15 more minutes or until lightly browned.